Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:02:34 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIXED: vpnc connects, but does not work

> ... I do have a Linux OS that I have access
> to that strangely does use vpnc successfully.

That may help quite a bit.  You can use something like tcpdump or
wireshark on the FreeBSD system to monitor the traffic between the
Linux system and the Cisco while connecting and doing something
simple like pinging the inside nameserver, then reverse roles and
use the Linux system to monitor the traffic between FreeBSD and the
Cisco while connecting and attempting to do the same simple thing.
You won't be able to see what's inside the IPSEC-encrypted packets,
but you can at least see how many of what size are sent in each
direction.  This may provide some clues as to what is going wrong.